The coronavirus pandemic has contributed to a reduction in traffic and a decrease in the number of fatalities. In February and March - for the first time in two years - fewer people died on Polish roads. In the current situation, it is safer to drive your own car than using public transport, but experts call for safe driving because the health service focuses on SARS-CoV-2 infected people. Poles care about the safety of their cars because there is still a lot of traffic. Unlike car dealerships, where most car sales and customer service services operate online.
- The situation related to the coronavirus pandemic shows that what matters is not only what we pay attention to every day. Now the most important thing is that our cars are clean and sterile to avoid infection, while driving us safely and accident-free. The health care system is now under enough strain and will be even more so in the coming weeks. That's why it's a double social responsibility at the moment not to cause accidents and to stay as far away from hospitals as possible," says Newseria Biznes Stanisław Dojs, Volvo Car Poland PR manager.
The coronavirus pandemic and governmental restrictions on movement have caused the traffic on Polish roads to decrease significantly. At the same time, for the first time in two years the trend of increasing fatalities on Polish roads has reversed. In 2018 and 2019, their balance was growing (2831 people died in 2017, 2862 in 2018 and 2909 last year). In February and March, on the other hand, both accidents and fatalities were significantly lower in annual terms.
- This year, even in January, the number of deaths was higher, while in February and March, a decrease is already visible. In the first quarter of 2020, over 50 fewer people were killed on the roads - says Stanisław Dojs. - Since our brand focuses on safety, we appeal to drivers to slow down and drive carefully. Now is a terrible time to get to the hospital - driving carefully, we relieve the health service and have a chance to save our health and life. I hope that this attitude will be consolidated and that it will not only be a short-term improvement due to the pandemic.
Due to fewer collisions, the tinsmith's segment is falling, but other services are seeing a lot of traffic.
- Drivers are quite conscientious about service, because maintaining the mobility of your own car is now crucial and means safety. Public transport has many limitations and people are reluctant to use it or taxis. Own cars are the safest form of transport and customers want them to be efficient," says Volvo Car Poland PR manager.
As he emphasizes, just like most of the industries, also the automotive industry is suffering severely from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic and a significant drop in turnover. This results both from prolonged production downtime and a drop in demand for new cars - both sales and releases of new cars are lower. Customers are reducing contacts and postponing this for a better moment, after the quarantine or government restrictions on movement have ended. In fact, the car brands themselves encourage them to handle most of their car purchase and servicing needs remotely, developing online channels and door-to-door solutions.
- For obvious reasons, customers prefer to keep their distance and limit personal contact or do things remotely. We have introduced a convenience in the service that allows the customer to drive to the square of our living room but not to enter, and the service via Wi-Fi will connect to the car and perform electronic diagnostics. We can also pick up the car at the service and then take it back to the customer. The same applies to the delivery of the car - if the customer wants it to be put under his house, many dealers provide such a service at the moment - says Stanisław Dojs.
The hygienic rigours of car service have also been tightened. Before leaving the service, they are carefully disinfected, which includes even the car key. The service personnel are equipped with disposable gloves, and the sensitive elements of the vehicle are protected with disposable covers (seat, rugs, steering wheel, gear shift lever).
In radio and Internet advertising campaigns, automotive brands encourage people to stay at home and contact and deal with most matters online or by phone. Showrooms and dealers still operate and collect orders, but contact customers by phone, email or video chat. You can either take out or renew your insurance policy remotely.
- A lot has changed in the showrooms themselves. We have separate areas where customers can move around so that the distance between them and the reception desk, for example, remains intact.
/ Source Newseria